UNPAID GIGS

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
robnokshus

Re: UNPAID GIGS

Post by robnokshus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 am

Here's my 2-cents worth; I am a year and a half into a sweet major market gig that was offered to me as a direct result of working over a year for free at a colleague's internet operation. I was under-employed at the time and did the streaming thing just for the fun of doing radio again. It was fun and turned out to be one of the best investments of my time ever. You just never know where your path will take you and what will grow from the seeds you sew.

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Went from a podcast to major market?

Sorry, but I have to call shenanigans on that one.

corneo

Post by corneo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:48 am

dwc151 wrote:Went from a podcast to major market?

Sorry, but I have to call shenanigans on that one.

Believable. We work with college interns all the time and tell them to do podcast so we can listen to them and tweak them. Sometimes you create a winner without putting them on the air. Don't get me wrong, you get bad apples too.

They put their podcast on itunes and we watch their numbers. We just hired a student who now does a weekend show has has a really good call in base. We taught him how to get local sponsors for the show and now the station and his paycheck reflect his hard work.

We have another former student who was a "diamond in the rough." This young man now does a morning show and is the station G.M. He took a station that wasn't doing well and now has respectable ratings. We're nervous he leave us.

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:22 am

I'm going to call BS on "Free Streaming site host to Major Market" as well.

Unless your "sweet major market" gig is as an intern, helping out on the stations 'street team' or assisting in the prod room.

justadj

Post by justadj » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:25 pm

My first gig in radio (1973) was unpaid. I worked 8 hours a day writing and reading 6 complete 5 minute News casts with actualities that aired on the hour. Also, produced 4 hours of Public Service shows that ran every Sunday. My radio career spans 41 years now and never once out of a (paid) gig. (20 years in Los Angeles radio) I credit that time as an unpaid intern with my work ethic and stability and success in the profession. If you want it bad enough you will take the gig and make it work for you later.

danno

Post by danno » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:46 pm

justadj wrote:My first gig in radio (1973) was unpaid. I worked 8 hours a day writing and reading 6 complete 5 minute News casts with actualities that aired on the hour. Also, produced 4 hours of Public Service shows that ran every Sunday. My radio career spans 41 years now and never once out of a (paid) gig. (20 years in Los Angeles radio) I credit that time as an unpaid intern with my work ethic and stability and success in the profession. If you want it bad enough you will take the gig and make it work for you later.
my 1st impression is you were being "Used". many of us had our own paths in broadcasting, but i always found a way to get paid while i was learning, things may be different now, i'm sure if someone could get 8 hours of work for free out of an intern they would jump at it for as long as they could get it, the trick is, learn quickly and move to a paying position there or somewhere else as soon as you can, even grunt work is worth a price don't give it away too long.

musicmolder

Post by musicmolder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 am

Calling shenanigans on someone's success story because it isn't in the realm of your thought process is a big reason why radio is suffering these days. Small thinking equals small rewards, if any at all. We should never forget that when radio started, there was no advertising. People didn't get paid. They did shows and programs because they were excited about this new way of communicating. What happened after that? The money followed!

These new entrepreneurs delving into internet radio may not have money now, but that will soon change. And if someone worked hard at what they loved to do for no compensation, and it led them to a rewarding position in a major market, celebrate it! Even if it's fabricated, be inspired by it and be the positive responder. All Access is a trade publication where people can share ideas and success stories, find jobs, and discuss our futures as broadcasters. If you don't see the future in unpaid gigs, that doesn't mean there isn't one. I started working in this profession as an unpaid intern at age 17, working my way up to afternoons and MD in less than two years ... at the same station that started out not paying me.

Anything is possible, as long as you see it that way! :D

justadj

Post by justadj » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:16 am

Call it what you want but it worked out real well for me. I made a choice. At that age, I would rather work at something I had a passion for at no pay than pump gas or bag groceries for a couple of bucks an hour. Used? Not really. It was my idea...I really wanted the gig. To each his own. Celebrating 42 years in Radio this year.

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:27 pm

And we wonder why radio doesn't pay squat. It's because all of these dingleberries are chompin' at the bit to work for free (or next to it) and flooding the market.

I don't argue with the "Think Big, Score Big" mentality. In fact, I completely agree with it.

But how "big" can you possibly be thinking if you're not even getting a buck an hour for your work?

Same applies to bar bands.. clubs will try to get a new band to play for free. They call it "playing for exposure".

The way I see it.. if what you can do doesn't make someone want to pay you for it, then you need to either go back to the garage and hone your chops, or look into a different profession.

If you're going to burn your time working for free in Internet Radio, then start your OWN station and show.

If you have the gear to deliver tracks to these people offering 'unpaid gigs' then you already have everything you need to produce and launch your OWN station/show.

Use your 'best of' reel as your aircheck, and sooner or later, somebody will give you a paying job and you're on your way.

THAT'S "thinking big".

danno

Post by danno » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:50 am

i think most including me, who object to "Unpaid Gigs" are those who have a full resume and have worked in the industry for quite some time, maybe their situation is dire financially and to see several ads about working for No Money Offends them at a time when they're pissed about their situation already... So, i will say this, if someone is just wanting a start in this business and knows nothing, its a good idea to get experience anyway they can and if they are very young, maybe living at home with mom & dad and can Afford to get that without getting a paycheck, well maybe that experience will pay off in the future, but i hope someone along the way will give them a dose of reality & tell them that if Radio is their Future it will most likely NOT pay off with a big paycheck in the end, but if they enjoy it they can have some fun until they find out for themselves they will never get rich doing it. gotta ask youself this question is it better to be happy doing something you Love than making more money in life? i can't deny Radio is fun, but so is driving a cool car, having a house, roots and Security, a person has to weigh all those things going in.