Goodbye to Radio!

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

revere

Goodbye to Radio!

Post by revere » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:09 am

It is a weird day today. I realize that this Monday for the first time in nearly 34 years, I will get up and go to a job that is not a Radio Station. It’s actually kind of sad.
Before Radio I worked at McDonalds, the USPS and a large Insurance company. I was a good employee but could not have cared less if the places burned down. Then came Radio, I loved it and lived it 24/7/365. Maybe a little too much. But like the guy who sweeps up at the end of the circus parade and when asked why he doesn’t quit? He replies “what and give up show business?”
As Tip O’Neill said once, “All politics is local.” And that is where I think Radio went off the rails. The Business needs to get back to LOCAL, LOCAL, LOCAL! When I got into the Business I worked for great Broadcasters who preached this every day. They also took pride that they were granted a license to serve in the Public Interest. And it worked. Now though owners, salespeople and DJ’s have forgotten this. There are stations out there by rights should have their license taken away for failing to do this.
I like to thank some of mentors since 1982, Mike Phillips, Don London, Brett Paradis, Jim Lowe and a whole bunch more. I am glad that I was also able to mentor a Station Owner who turned a Station valued at 200k into a million dollar operation.
So it’s with deep regret I say goodbye to Radio; a business that I loved but is no longer what I envisioned it to be. The next time I walk into a Radio Station I will either own it or work for an owner who will give me complete control. I promise it will be LOCAL and it WILL serve the Public Interest.

cuddzu

Re: Goodbye to Radio!

Post by cuddzu » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Farewell Brother! Many of us share your sentiment, but alas, this generation cares nothing for AM or FM. The times they are a changin'.
Thank You
All Access Moderator

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 am

"The next time I walk into a Radio Station I will either own it or work for an owner who will give me complete control."

Lots of stations on the market, if you look. The bargains are small AM stations that no one wants. You can get one for less than the price of a house. No owner is going to give anyone else "complete control." Just not going to happen. You need to put together a business plan. How will you take your ideas and make money? Local, local, local costs money, money, money. The problem most programmers have when they get into ownership is they spend too much time on the programming, and no time raising the money. There are lots of examples of success and failure. You may have to leave the area you're in now to get what you want. But you have to ask yourself: What am I willing to do in order to be happy? If owning a radio station is the answer, then get started now.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:12 am

"Local local local cost money money money".
It mey have taken me 2 years to reply, Country Boy, but you are wrong wrong wrong.
Local local local MAKES you money money money.

IF! You're an actual BROADCASTER as opposed to merely a real estate investor.